We Breed Monsters (a play, revisited)
Yes, I've been slacking on blog posts again. But I have not been slacking on creativity, and that is my focus this year, so I'd consider my resolution a mild success so far! It feels great to get back on the horse and push myself toward creative ventures, even when I'm not feeling entirely motivated.
I have been writing a play called We Breed Monsters for almost four years now. It started as an experimental one-act play, which evolved into a 90+ minute family drama. The full-length version was my creative thesis at DU, and I felt happy with the end result. Then, it received a virtual workshop in October 2020, and having its first reading with actors made me realize I still had a lot of work to do.
This newest version trims a lot of the excess the original had going on. Too many characters, scenes that didn't really go anywhere... I got a spark about a week ago, and I realized what I needed to do. Two characters had to go. Adios, Pace & Sarah!
I am looking into workshop/performance possibilities right now, but in case you are curious and have spare time on your hands, I invite you to check it out!
You can read a sample of We Breed Monsters here (message me if you'd like the whole script!)